Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Iron Man Has a Disability

I finally saw the Iron Man movie and I must say, it was TOTALLY COOL! Okay, so I am a child of the 80's and have been rootin' for Robert Downey Jr. to get his act together, so I would imagine that biased me a bit, however, even without my 80's bias, I loved it. What an amazing transformation for his character Tony Stark - and it all stemmed from a disability.

Seriously.

I would think a large, glowing aparatus in the middle of your chest that keeps you alive would qualify as a disability, wouldn't you? There I sat in the movie theatre, enjoying the flick, eating Junior Mints and being totally philosophical about the disability that changed Tony Stark into Iron Man.

It made him a person with a disability. It also made him a superhero.

What a wonderful opportunity I have in my line of work - I meet superheroes every day. People with disabilities, working to make the world a better place for everyone. A place of acceptance, inclusion and independence. Of course, I don't think any of them fly around in an iron suit (although I wouldn't put it past George G.), but they make a difference every day in their own way. They speak out for change, and for the right to live their lives as they so choose.

Afterall, isn't that what superheroes do? In addition to saving the damsel in distress and stopping the evil villain from turning New York City into a large plate of jello, superheroes in general make the world a better place. :)

No comments: